Monday, September 17, 2007

Emmy Post-Mortem (and Some Name Dropping)

So, if you've followed this blog at all, you know that I'm a huge TV addict, my love for books aside. So, it's with a fevered frothiness that I anticipate the Emmys...not so much because I think the nominations are the true highlights of the best of TV (because, er, Lost was amazing last season and the fact that it wasn't nominated is shameful, and while I don't watch The Wire, critics said the same about that), but because hey, it's a chance to see (and critique) all of my favorite (and not so favorite) celebs. And of course, to root for a few of 'em too.

So my thoughts on last night? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Was it just me or was that not the most boring snoozefest? I mean, seriously! I guess it was made a little bit interesting by the fact that so many of the wins were unexpected (um, James Spader???), but still. I can't even think of anyone who I thought was so gorgeously dressed that I'm dying to chat about her here. And those musical numbers? Ugh, I wanted to claw my eyes out.

I will say that while I was really disappointed that Jenna Fisher didn't win, I'm cool with Jaime Pressly victory. Cool story: I actually interviewed her a few months back, and when the piece came out, she sent me flowers! I mean, come on! Jaime Pressly sent me flowers??? I almost fainted when my doorman handed them to me, and I read the card. Pretty classy, so yeah, I'm okay with her win.

And I was also torn over the 30 Rock win. If you don't watch it, you should. It's is so freaking hilarious that it even sucked in my husband, who has sworn off all new tv shows because we already have too many on our list. But, as you guys probably know, I'm a devoted Office-phile, so I was a little bummed for them, as well as for Steve Carell's loss...though when he bounded on stage, I nearly peed in my pants. I've also been lucky enough to get to know Melora Hardin a bit (she's so super-awesome and the opposite of Jan in real life), and I was hoping to see her on stage in a fabulous dress!

Anyhoo, speaking of Carell, I have a cover story out with him now! The interview might have been one of the highlights of my career...I kid you not. He was so cool and funny and warm, and writing it meant that I got to interview other members of the cast, so, here it is. At times like these, I really love my job. :)

So...what did you guys think of last night, for those of you who watched? Anyone wow you with her dress? Thrilled for anyone's victory?

9 comments:

Lisa Bakewell said...

Allison- I didn't see the Emmy's, but I read your interview with Steve Carell and IT'S FABULOUS! Good job! What a fun interview, huh?

Lisa

Carleen Brice said...

I tried. I really tried, but 10 minutes in I was so bored I couldn't stand it. Took a nice long bath instead!

Patti said...

finally, a gret interview. i loved the closet thing. i still do that here...

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

I loved your interview, Allison. Steve Carell is one of my favorite actors; he uses his entire body in a role. He also happens to be a neighbor. I'm dying to meet his wife. Anyone who can write an acceptance speech like his for the Golden Globes...

Amy

Sherry said...

Steve Carell is himself in whatever he does. Literally. Great interview...must have been a laugh doing the interview. His responses would keep you on your toes.
Missed the Emmy's...all of these awards shows are getting more and more d-u-l-l...and since I really only watch "House"....From what I read in the paper Ryan Seacrest was almost non-existent as an MC. What's with that?

Trish Ryan said...

Gotta love that interview!

But wait...isn't your hubby a Red Sox fan? How did you get the Emmys on while the Sox were playing the Yankees???

I avoided that dilemma by going to see Mandy Moore in concert :)

Allison Winn Scotch said...

Amy-That is so cool! If you ever meet her, let us know.

Trish - Hee! You have no idea: my in-laws were in, and I laid down the law w/my husband before they came (and extended the trip through Sunday night), saying, "Look, you know this is my night, so I'm not NOT watching." So husband, FIL and my dad were parked in the living room, watching the game, while I shut myself in the bedroom to watch. But honestly, seeing Mandy Moore in concert would have been better than both options! I'm so jealous!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I don't watch TV, but sometimes I wish I did! Never have seen The Office, or Sex in the City, or Lost, or Desperate Housewives...

Cindy said...

I was at the house of Jaime Pressly's stylist before the Emmys...I saw the dress and jewels close up, it was quite thrilling to see her in the dress etc. on tv!

I love the pre-show, then I skip to the E! channel's post show while the Emmys are still on!

xxox