Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Books As Gifts

As long as I can remember, I've loved to read. Way before I discovered that I had a knack for writing, in fact, I was a bookworm. My mother was a teacher who really fostered our love for reading, and even today, my brother and I are among the more voracious readers we know, and I'm trying to impart my love of books to my own children, who, fortunately, seem to be taking to it.

As many of you know, I'm sure, the publishing industry is taking some real hits these days. Of course, the entire country is taking some real hits these days, but the publishing industry has been on a slippery downward slide in the past few years because, unlike when I was growing up, there are so many other things to be doing besides reading: video games, the internet, TIVO (which I'm admittedly guilty of not being able to live without!). But this holiday season, there is no better way to give a present that will provide endless joy AND help out our industry.


The publishing houses have thus launched a campaign called "Books As Gifts," and when you think about it, it's so simple, it's hard to believe that they actually had to come up with a marketing scheme to go about this! But check out the below video. Pick out a book for a loved one this year, and you'll be in good company. In fact, my family and I aren't big gift-givers. On birthdays, we're more likely to get a phone call wishing us happy birthday than a box with a bow on it, but this season, I'm going to my local bookstore and am totally stocking up on books for everyone. I hope you'll do the same!

Check out the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OXs7tnP5eQ (I tried to embed it, but blogger won't let me.) And for a long list of book-giving ideas, check out this link: http://www.booksequalgifts.com.

What books are on your gift list this season?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often give children's books to kids, to grown-ups I give gift cards from a book store. I haven't been doing a lot of reading lately and have no must reads lined up right now, other than your latest book of course Allison!

Trish Ryan said...

I love books as gifts: giving, receiving, it's all good.
Books are invitations into a new world. What could be better?

Larramie said...

So far I have 23 books waiting to be wrapped and that's not including those that will be given to "Toys for Tots." Since books can be such good friends, I give them "just because" to my real friends throughout the year.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Good stuff here. Just wrote a post about holiday gift-giving and books.

Susan Johnston Taylor said...

I just wrote about books as gifts, too. Because of the recession and the fact that my family is one smaller this year, we're having a low key Christmas.

My wish list consists of four books on Amazon.com, which makes it easy for my mom. One is on blogging, and another is yours, Allison!

Keetha said...

I visited my local indie earlier this week to buy a few gifts. Books are my favorite gift to both give and receive.

Jen A. Miller said...

I'm giving "Heirloom: Notes from an Accidential Tomato Farmer." Great book! http://bookaweekwithjen.blogspot.com/2008/05/book-52-of-52-heirloom-notes-from.html