Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscars...

Admin note: I have just a few more questions to burn through and answer on here, so now is a good time to send any questions my way. I'm looking for new things to blog about these days, so don't be shy! allison@allisonwinn.com

So I'm watching the world's most boring red carpet and Oscar ceremony (though Jon Stewart is actually cracking me up, so at least there's that), and am pretty brain-dead from the weekend, so I'm not sure that I have anything insightful to post.

But I will say that several book adaptations are up for Oscars, and this sparked a discussion tonight with my husband, who couldn't believe that when a movie's film rights get picked up, that's it's not an automatic cool million dollar pay-off. He said something along the lines of, "But without the writers, there would be no movie!"

To which, I'm like, "Duh. Sweetie, welcome to the writer's strike of '07...go walk the picket line!"

Anyhoo, as I mentioned to him, the real bonus of getting your book turned into film is the fact that you'll reap royalties up the booty. Sure, that initial payoff is fabulous, (I think on average, these pick-ups are probably in the six figures - correct me if I'm wrong - but it's usually just a one-time pay out), but the royalties and sales of the book go on forever. And that, at least metaphorically, is priceless. (Even though it's anything but.)

Okay, sorry for the mindless post. I'm back to watching the awards to see who assess who's the worst-dressed, and this year, for the first time in so long, there are a lot to choose from.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was fun to see a new writer like Diablo Cody win for Juno. She got her start writing on her blog about her stripping job. Hmmm, how does "bookbabie does Hollywood" sound as my new blog title?

Trish Ryan said...

That was a DULL show. And the dresses were boring. Every awards show needs at least one Bjork in a swan suit. It might give a new actress her big break :)

Larramie said...

Thank you for that info, booklady, that sounds like a high note on an otherwise boring night. Although there were a fair share of ladies in red...

Unknown said...

Allison: I think writers need to be really careful when dealing with movie options and deals. From what I've heard, a studio may pay a very small sum (like $5 or 10K) to option a book for a finite period of time. If they don't make the movie in that time, it can go back on the selling block. Also, when your book deal is being drawn up, your agent should really be making sure your contract is giving you a nice piece of the action in the event that screen rights are sold (even if you don't think your book could ever be taken there). There's been a lot of interesting articles about Deborah Gregory, author of the Cheetah Girls novels, claiming she got seriously screwed because of her contract, not to mention the creative ways Hollywood tweaks numbers, among other things. See: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-et-cheetah13feb13,1,3159893,full.story?ctrack=2&cset=true

suzanneelizabeths.com said...

Hi Allison,

I tuned in to watch the awards for about thirty minutes last night and then had to change the channel out of sheer boredom.

As to your thoughts about books being made in to movies...this must be every writer's dream! Not only for the monetary payoff but also for the fun of seeing your work portrayed on screen...and being able to say, 'hey, that's MY book!'

Did you ever read the blog turned book, Julie and Julia? (Julie Powell was a secretary who spent a year cooking her way through Julia Child's classic cookbook, and kept a daily journal of her efforts on her blog. The blog was then turned into a book.) Well this book has been optioned for the movies, and the latest is that Meryl Streep is signed on to be in the movie.

Now, just imagine if a year of your life was portrayed on screen???

How would you feel about that?

Geez, I came here to respond to another one of your terrific posts, and I get an idea of something I now want to exapnd into a new post on mine! I think that qualifies your blog as a source of inspiration!

-Suzanne.

Allison Winn Scotch said...

Alexa,
I couldn't agree more. I think it's crucial that you find smart and able film representation, and even then, stay vigilant in the process. Thanks for that link...I'm off to read it right now!
Allison