Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Contract Isn't In the Mail

I had an essay accepted by a consumer magazine from a NYC company and I revised it, signed the contract and sent it back. I just got word that the magazine is folding and my editor says her last day is today and someone will get back to me to let me know if I am going to be paid. We had agreed my piece would run later this year and they are only publishing one or so more issues-not with my essay. I had not yet received the signed contract back (with their signatures) back so I am thinking I am just out of luck with this one, what do you think?

Wow, so many contract questions this week! Which, caveat, is totally not my area of expertise.

I am thinking, like you, that since the contract wasn't signed on their end, that you might be SOL too. Which really blows. That said, do you have anything in email about the terms of your agreement. I believe that this might be able to be used as a contract in lieu of an actual one, and if you wanted to fight for your (deserved) money, you could.

That said,
ASJA has a wonderful contracts resource, and you don't have to be a member to use it. You should float an email to someone on their committee and see what feedback you get, because again, I'm not an expert.

Readers - does this writer have a chance at seeing a paycheck?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On the good side, you obviously have a well-written essay (since the mag. wanted it to begin with.) If they're not running it, why not place is somewhere else?