Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Today Show, Baby!

So I didn't want to jinx myself by mentioning this on the blog earlier, but Time of My Life was just named one of the top 10 reads for fall on The Today Show!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The company that I keep on that list is UNBELIEVABLE. Truly. Dennis Lehane. Anita Shreve. Wally Lamb!?!? Are you kidding me? I cannot describe how much my mind is blown.

Here's the link if you want to see their top 10 picks:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27237637/

Or watch the video: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27250840#27250840

Also, because this blog is not - nor has it ever been - all about me, I just want to say that all of you aspiring writers out there, keep plugging away. Four or five years ago, writing fiction was an aspiration for me, something I thought I was capable of but daunted all the same. But because I don't believe in limiting myself, I gave it a crack, and while (as well documented on this blog), my first manuscript never sold, I kept at it. Because that's what you have to do. So keep at it. That's really your only choice.

In addition, I am so sorry that for the past few weeks, I haven't been able to answer any of your Ask Allison questions! I know that first and foremost, you guys come to this blog not to read about my book release (ha!) but to get advice on the industry, but the truth is that things have exploded in ways that I couldn't anticipate, and I am just so, so, so busy that I haven't had time to sit down and answer your questions. But I do hope to get back to that soon!

Anyway, enjoy your weekend! I know that I will!!

11 comments:

Mrs. Beirne said...

I went to Barnes & Noble last night looking for your book. They had two copies. However, they were both being held for other customers. I had to order a copy for myself. I can't wait to read it! I don't usually buy hardcovers, but after reading The Department of Lost and Found as well as keeping up with your blog, I must!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you! You wrote a wonderful book and it's so exciting to see it get the recognition it deserves!

Bonita Rose said...

I am so so happy for you! I myself am in the middle of working on my first manuscript. over 40K words so far ,a nonfiction book/memoir. and so far it's flowing freely! Ppl like you and Jen L give me hope! You rock Allison and I am so proud of you, from one writer to another!! I am hoping to get my book in print one day... next step: finish my manuscript, work on my query and proposal and cross my fingers! big hugs, bonnierose

Larramie said...

THAT list was about as good as it gets, Allison, and I laughed when Curtis Sittenfeld and Candace Bushell followed YOU!

This is all SO much fun watching things "explode" for you and your ToML. Enjoy!

Sandra said...

So happy for you, girl! LOVE me some John Searles. He was the keynote speaker at the Backspace conference this summer and I wanted him to be in my circle of best gays. He obviously has fantastic taste in books.
It's so much fun for those of us long time Ask Allison readers to share this joy ride with you. Congrats, sistah.

Anonymous said...

Congratulation! You so deserve this success and I'm sure there's more good coming your way! Thank you for encouraging all the aspiring authors, it means a lot to see someone succeeding :)

Eileen said...

I love when good things happen to good people. Huge congrats.

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic, Allison! Nice company to keep, yes? Wally Lamb and Dennis Lehane? WOW.

Thanks for the reminder. I've embarked on a story that my writing group loves and I think I am ready to commit to getting it published. Huge commitment, I know. :) Your blog reminds me to keep at it!

Trish
http://www.trishlawrence.com/blog

Dawn Papandrea said...

Yay for this news! And on the very day my copy arrived in the mail. Can't wait to dig in and read what's shaping up to be the "in" thing to read this fall. Congrats!

Barrie said...

I just watched the video clip. THAT IS INCREDIBLE! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

i just wanna leave my regards.. congratulation with your success,