Monday, July 02, 2007

Vent of the Day

Warning: non-book related vent ahead...feel free to skip if you're so inclined.

So, my husband and I are at a wedding a few weeks ago, actually, the following event takes place at the rehearsal dinner, and I'm sitting nearly across (just to the right and then across) of some dude I don't know. I overhear his conversation with the gal next to me (the girlfriend of one of my husband's friends), and cock an ear. I pick up on the fact that he's a lawyer of some sort, and the convo then goes something like this:

"Yeah, no, I could never have been a prosecutor." - Him

"Why not?" - Her

"Oh because I could never prosecute someone for things that I do, you know, like driving drunk. I mean, I do that all the time, so how could I string someone up for that?" - Him

Stunned silence - Her. And from me. Though at this point, I'm seriously considering leaping across the table, shoving a breadstick up his nose, dousing him with wine and setting him afire with a tea candle.

I mean, I just CANNOT believe that there are idiots out there like this guy: educated enough to be a freakin' lawyer, yet clearly so dumb that he doesn't even realize that he's risking not just his (stupid, insignificant) life, but lives of innocent others when he gets behind the wheel. Seriously, I wanted to punch him in the face.

Anyway, the point of this post - and there is one - is that a lot of us will be on the road over the holiday week, so please have a safe and healthy one. Morons are littered among us (and sorry, drunk driving, which is so easily preventable, is just inexcusable and one of my major causes), so please go out there and have a great time, but have a safe one too!

I'll be hanging with my fam for the next few days, so I'll be back on the blog later this week!

10 comments:

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Brava, Allison! If I'd been there, he would've resembled a walrus because of those breadsticks. I've lost friends and friends have lost children to drunk drivers. I've no tolerance for them. People shouldn't take so much as a sip and then drive. Never. Thanks for speaking up.

Amy

Trish Ryan said...

Great post. So true. That idiot deserves the breadstick & tealight treatment.

Have a happy (& safe) week!

Eileen said...

What a moron. If you throw a drink on him make it rum- it will catch fire faster.

Anonymous said...

Idiot. I know a few people who could use that bread stick treatment. Lemme know if you start hiring yourself out, because all the talking in the world hasn't made them see the light.

Dawn said...

That is unbelievable. He sounds all casual about it, too, like it is no big deal or something. I would have loved to see the breadstick-up-the-nose thing. Are there really still people out there that think that way???

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

We ALWAYS take a taxi when we go out and know we will be drinking. It's a twelve-buck ride to the bars, a twelve-buck ride home. Not ruining our lives or others' -- priceless!

Thanks for the P.A. and happy fourth of July!

Lynne Griffin and Amy MacKinnon said...

Very timely post, so thank you. I hope you all left the rehearsal far before or after him, and made devil horns over his head behind his back any time he spoke with another woman. Too bad he cannot be prosecuted for simply admitting that right up front.

BTW, finally did get my copy of your book, and cannot wait!

Hannah

Patti said...

i think this is more common than most people realize. too bad you didn't wield the breadstick...

Marijke Vroomen-Durning said...

Oh, you're a better person than I. I wouldn't have been able to stay quiet - a trait my husband isn't overly fond of, unfortunately.

Fiction + Dreams = Join Me! said...

Clearly just one reason he is still single. What a moron.

You should have spoke up and said, "and to think I stopped doing the dumbest things known to man as a teenager."

HA