Monday, April 02, 2007

Taking the Lead

I'm back! Vacation was wonderful, and yeah, I know that being in the sun is horrible for you (I do wear gobs of SPF, don't worry), but wow, isn't everyone just a little bit more attractive with a flush of color? It's true, I swear.

Question of the day: A novel question for you...if your publisher is making you a "lead title" what does that mean? I'm guessing it's good, but I'm not sure what it means in terms of what they actually do.

If your novel has been deemed the lead title, it's a very, very, very good thing. So if this is the case, huge congrats!

What this means it that your book will essentially be the star of your publisher's show: the one the sales reps push, the one the marketing team markets, the one onto which gobs of attention will be showered. For example,
Jon Clinch's Finn was recently his imprints lead title, and damn if you didn't see that book everywhere. (And deservedly so...Jon is a kick-ass guy, and while I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, the reviews were incredible.)

If you're the lead title, ask your agent directly what this means for you and how it will impact your PR, marketing and sales. But needless to say, it's a real vote of confidence from your publisher.

Anyone out there a lead title? Or have more specifics as to what this author can expect?

2 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

*I* know someone who is going to be the lead title; in fact, I'm guessing SHE'S the one who wrote this question to you!!!

And I know it's going to be a FAB book, because I've already read the first chapter!

Therese said...

Pat Wood (who blogs as Orion) showed off one of her lead-title pleasures on her blog recently: her book made the front of her publisher's (Putnam) sales catalogue, plus got a 2-pg. spread inside.

Very cool.

My novel will be a lead title for Ballantine next January (for which I'm thrilled and still a bit dazed)--but I don't have any more specifics on what this will mean than what you've outlined here.

A note: we have to remember that there isn't just ONE lead title for each publisher--they have many over a year's time.

Still, it's a very good position to be in!