Monday, April 30, 2007

Paying It Foward

I wanted to take today to give a shout-out to a fellow author, Jen Lancaster. Not only does Jen run the snarkalicious, Jennsylvania blog, and contribute to Snarkywood - a must stop for anyone who is interested in biting commentary on pop culture - but she's also the author of Bitter is the New Black, and Bright Lights, Big Ass, which is released tomorrow!

Now. Why did I title this post, "Paying It Forward?" Because, as you'll see when my book comes out next week (!!!), Jen kindly and graciously blurbed TDLF. And she did this not because she knew me or because we go way back or are tight buddies or anything like that, she did it because I sent her a blind email and asked her to read. Not only did she take the time to read, she then wrote me a kick-ass blurb.

It's really easy to feel alienated and discouraged in this industry - sitting alone in your office typing words onto a page that may or may not ever be read by the outside world - and generous people like Jen (and all of my blurbers) reinforce the notion that a lot of us enjoy giving each other a boost up.

So - go out there and buy Bright Lights! If you liked Bitter, you'll love this one. Same biting wit, same bruising commentary! Her chapter on finding a trainer made me laugh so hard that my husband kicked me out of the room.

5 comments:

Trish Ryan said...

Awww...that's fantastic! I will hop on Amazon and check out Bright Lights... Looks like May will be a great reading month all around :)

Larramie said...

May is positively blooming with books, I've heard it's pbublishing's new June!

Amie Stuart said...

Gaw for the title alone! LOL I'll definitely check it out. BTW finished TDLF this weekend and absolutely loved it!

Sara Hantz said...

Thanks for the heads up on this. I laughed outloud at Jen's blog - I'll definitely look out for her books.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the expertise you share, but I have to question the company you're keeping.

I find her writng to be Chic Lit, at best and Trash Talk, at worst.